Welcome to Face Off, the Halloween Edition! This event will be the second Face Off competition and exhibit to be held in Yellowknife. In our first-ever Face Off, held in 2012, we asked photographers to meet at an undisclosed location and challenged them to photograph two models in 20 minutes using only one camera, one lens and one prop. The photos they captured were then featured in an exhibition. The general public was invited to attend, vote for their favourite photos and declare our winners. Face Off Part One was a huge success and I'm thrilled we're doing it again - this time with a dark, creepy twist!
About the Competition
Face Off Halloween invites photographers to team up with make-up artists and a model (or models) to create bloody, disgusting, terrifying portraits that will be anonymously displayed at an exhibition the week of October 27th-31st, 2014. Like Face Off Part One, the general public will be invited to attend the exhibit and act as judges to help determine our winners. This year, however, we are loosening the rules to allow for maximum creativity. Here's how Face Off Halloween is going to go down...
- The contest is open to anyone interested in photography, makeup artistry, Halloween and having a lot of fun
- Photographers must create a portrait (or a scene using a person or people) that captures the spirit of Halloween
- There must be an element of make-up and/or costume in your photo
- Photographers may team up with a makeup artist or they may do makeup themselves
- Photographers may use the same makeup artist as another photographer but must work out shooting schedules among yourselves
- Photographers can choose any model and location they wish
- Photographers may use the same model as another photographer but keep in mind photos will be judged based on originality
- ONE printed photo from EACH photographer will be shown at the exhibit
- Photographers are responsible for their own printing, framing, canvassing and/or mounting of their photo
- Photos cannot be larger than 36 inches, on the long side (there is no minimum size)
- DEADLINE for submissions is: OCTOBER 26th, 2014 - Photographers can shoot anytime between now and the due date, as long as the print is in by deadline.
- Photographers ARE ALLOWED to edit as they see fit using any photo editing software they choose, but ARE NOT ALLOWED to create composites or photo illustrations
- I ask that you keep your photos anonymous until we announce our winners at the exhibit. Do not share your photos or ask for votes ahead of the exhibit - anyone who does will be disqualified. This is meant to be a fun, creative and friendly competition so let's keep it that way.
A few more things...
- Entry fee is $25 per photographer – this money will go toward the venue rental, exhibit setup, food/decorations and prizes. Payment must be made in advance no later than OCTOBER 1st, 2014. There will be no refund for dropouts, no-shows, or if you fail to follow the rules below. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for payment and registration. Entry fee can be done via email transfer to the address above.
*No money from this event will be kept for profit by Pat Kane Photo. All entry fees will go into making this a great event. If any money remains, we can discuss either reimbursement to teams or donation to a charity or organization.
The venue for Face Off Halloween is still TBA but I will keep everyone posted in the weeks leading up to the exhibit.
Judging & Prizes
- In addition to audience votes, we will have a panel of 3 independent judges to determine the winners of Face Off Halloween... (sum of audience votes + judge's scores)
- Photographs will be judged based on originality, makeup/costume and technical difficulty
- There will be 3 prizes in 3 individual categories + ONE GRAND PRIZE WINNER
- Prizes are a secret for now, but will total between $300-$500.
The Fine Print
- Photographers own the copyright to all of their images, printed or otherwise, in any and all instances
- Organizers (me) of the event are not eligible for prizes
- If you have any other questions or comments, please contact email@example.com
*Face Off Halloween is designed to showcase the incredible talent of Yellowknife’s photographers, makeup artists and models. With that goal in mind, be respectful of the rules and regulations and lets show our support for this great artistic community. Good luck!